Tuesday, January 02, 2007

06 December 26--Kirisimasy

Hello again,

It was great to talk to all of you yesterday. It sounds like you guys had a really good Christmas. I had a good Christmas too, it was different, but good. I think the highlight was being able to talk to all of you.

We started out our Christmas by visiting an orphanage. Earlier in the week we bought some toys and candy to give them. We sang them some songs, I played the guitar, and then we gave them the toys and candy. They were really happy. After that, we went out to lunch. A lot of the missionaries wanted to go to this "Mexican" restaurant that we had discovered earlier in the month, but it ended up being closed. So, as we were walking back, we walked past this sign that said " sakafo Iranien" (which, being interpreted, is Persian Food! ;). I was excited and insisted that we go in. When I walked in and saw the guy behind the counter, I spoke the only Persian I know ( courtesy of dad) and he gave me the weirdest look and responded in Persian, and then asked in English; " you speak Farsi?" I told him that dad could. This was funny because, I'm sure the last place he expected to hear Persian was from an American white guy, in a restaurant in Madagascar. And then we started speaking Malagasy to the workers, and I think they were even more weirded out. I asked for pomegranate chicken, but they did not have it. But I did get something good, and I had basamati rice, which was nice. It was good, but the service was terrible. Some of the missionaries loved it, and inevitably, some of them well... did not. Oh well, I hope they can forgive me eventually.

Anyway, after lunch we went to an Old-folks home and sang them songs too. We talked with them for a little bit, they were really happy to talk to us. Then we gave them to fruit, sang some more songs, and said good bye. After that my companion and I went to an investigators house, and the fed us. We had goose and rice, and more rice. I also had ranopango which is basically burnt-rice-water. It's good, it tastes like "Postum", sort of, and it's been thoroughly boiled, so it won't kill me, I like it. Then after that, we went to a party at one of the missionary houses, where I got to talk to you guys. So basically, that was my Christmas. Today we have a "mandatory" white Elephant gift exchange, and pizza contest for P-day. I get to pick up my 60 dollar custom-made guitar today as well. That will be cool.

Well, I'm out of time, because I've got a really busy schedule today so, I love you all and I will write you next week. Veloma!
Elder Draper

No comments: