Sunday, April 29, 2007

2007 April 23--Transferred!

Hi.

First and foremost, this week was actually pretty good. To mom, you'd actually be surprised by how far I've come with the whole "vazaha" thing. I actually think it's kind of funny now. Honestly, it doesn't bother, (with some exceptions, depending on the context, for instance, when your head still hurts from the rock that was just thrown at it). However, this transfer, it's been sort of interesting watching my companion deal with it. I've had the chance of seeing a lot of "first times" happen to my companion that happened to me much earlier in the mission. Like "first rock thrown at head." Yesterday, he had his first car intentionally swerve to hit him. He got pretty mad at that one (I think the whole "car intentionally swerving to hit/scare the white guy" thing might only be particular to this area (67ha), because it never happened to me until I got here, and it's happened a couple times since). Anyway, I think this place is definitely the place to cultivate patience and charity for your fellowman. And most definitely the place to learn how to NOT let what other people do get to you.

I think last transfer, with Elder Edgley, I improved a lot with my patience with Malagasys. When I was robbed the first time, I had to make sure that I didn't hold it against whoever did it and especially not to hold it against anyone else; for instance, the guy who threw the rock at my head the next day. It would have been so easy to hold a grudge and be ticked at everything and everyone, because nothing seemed to be going our way. But, both my companion and I made a conscious effort to focus on how great our investigators were, or how genuinely friendly the vast majority of these people are. In all honesty, the guy who stole from us was probably desperate and scared out of his mind when he robbed us, and must of been disappointed that we didn't have more and better stuff. I hold no grudge against him, in fact, I kind of feel bad for him.

We also could of been ticked when the mission told us that we would not be reimbursed for what was taken/broken, furthermore, we would have to take out a loan, that was to be payed back, so that we could eat for the rest of the week. To be honest, I felt a little "walked on" and got very close to "letting loose" on the mission office about taking care of their missionaries. However, I restrained myself, and was able to wait a week, and simply tell (not yell) them how I felt the situation should have been handled. It may not have done any good as far as being reimbursed was concerned, but it did help me feel like I was able to put my two cents in and walk away with a clear conscience. My companion, Elder Edgley helped me out a ton. We were kind of like brothers in adversity, as it were. I think we were able to come out of the experience older and wiser, having developed patience on a much higher level than before. Yes, I've still got a ways to go with my patience for the "mean Malagasys' ( I specify them as "mean" because truly, the vast majority here are some of the humblest and nicest people I've ever met, and not all of the people who shout "Vazaha!!" at us have any real malice towards us - they just don't know any better), but I've come a LONG way with them already. I am in debt to my previous companions, especially to Elder Eldgley, in my struggle to ignore the obnoxious, and grin ironically at the sometimes infuriating situations I sometimes find myself in. In fact, I would go so far as to say, if I had not had my previous companions, particularly Elder Edge, I might not have made it though this transfer, where my main struggle by far, was my companion.

The second time I was robbed, I was, as you know, with Elder S. Now, at this point, I had already been robbed before, so I may have been more equipped to deal with it. However, I have never before seen anyone so broken up over "things" lost. I have never seen any grown person, throw such a tantrum. Even before we got robbed I had never been so at a loss with how to connect with a companion before.

So again, my main struggle this transfer has been developing patience for my companion, which I have never before really had to deal with. It more or less caught me off guard. Granted, it's difficult to be with anyone 24-7for 9 weeks ( ironically, this transfer is the only one that's lasted 10), but if you're required to stay with someone you would have avoided before your mission anyway, I think it adds a few notches to the difficulty level, so to speak. I also think that getting robbed ( my 2nd time) and then moving into an already occupied small two-man-house, and then being ignored by the Mission office for a transfer, and then getting really sick, coupled with all of the other fun things missionaries deal with may not have helped the situation. So it was no surprise really when we blew up at each other the other week. It's amazing, but since then, I've seen my companion show much more restraint and maturity. And I must confess, that while I didn't use any profanity, I was pretty harsh, and said some mean things. However, I think my companion now knows that if he ever wants to get in an argument, I am capable of being articulate and mean, and he might get offended. This isn't necessarily a good thing, but After the argument, We both apologized and there hasn't been any arguments or problems with getting out and working since.

So now. I will be transferred, and get a new companion, Elder Wangsgard, and I will be working in an area called "Alarobia" which means simply; "Wednesday" ( so it's been fun telling people here that I will be moving to "Wednesday" and have them say " not when are you going, but where are you going?" and then say " I'm moving to "Wednesday" on "Thursday" which sounds like " Izaho dia hifindra-toerana amin'ny Alakamisy any amin'ny Alarobia" ) anyway I'm excited. This last week was good. I enjoyed it. I'm doing good. I actually don't hate my companion, I'd be lying if I said he was my favorite. Sometimes, Elder S can even be funny, like last week, he took the mission record for how many street brochettes( about 3 to 4 pieces of meat on a stick) he could eat and ate 170. He looked absolutely miserable after the whole experience, but it was pretty funny (he thought so too afterward, so it wasn't just me, in case you were wondering), and hey, he beat the record which before stood undefeated at 160.

I've learned a lot this transfer, I'm still working out a few things though. I'm sorry about the whole "p-day" confusion thing, I'm going to blame the incoherence of that letter on my still being in a state of recovery and my brain being fried from the fever. But everything's allot better now, and if this letter doesn't make sense then well.... I don't know what to blame it on. but I'm sure I could figure out something.

Anyway, I love ya and I'm doing good. Not bitter, or cynical in the slightest. So don't worry about that. I've got letters with cool stuff awaiting you in the coming weeks, and I've decided once again to spare you some of the negatives. I think you'll like it better that way anyway. But until then, Veloma!
Elder Draper

No comments: