Sunday, July 08, 2007

2007 June 12--Reflections

Alright then.

Here I am once again, and once again, I don't know where to start. As always, it's good to hear from you, it sounds like you guys have a ton of stuff going on. Cool. I like to see that.

Anyway, another great week has come and gone. I'm not sure we've gotten home before 9:30 once this week because we've been teaching so much. We've actually had to set aside 2 days out of the week to go on member splits so we can get to all of our investigators. This last Saturday
I got to go on splits with our bishop, Vincent Du Paul, who is taking vacation time from work to help the missionaries and visit members, less active members, and investigators. Amazing guy.

Last Friday, Elder W and I woke up early to travel a little outside of Tana and have a planning session in a place called " Ambohimanga" which is apparently the most sacred of 3 holy villages in Madagascar and where another "Rova"( one of the old kings castles) is located. It was beautiful there, and we would have gone inside the Rova but for the price . We were told by some investigators that it only costs 200 Ariary to get in, but then we got there we found out that if you were white, the price was 7000 Ariary. I know that none of those numbers mean anything to you really, but suffice it to say, we weren't willing to pay ( partially because we didn't have the money, but even if we did....) But the place was really nicely situated on top a mountain covered in a semitropical forest ( or a rather a regular forest with the occasional palm tree or bamboo and other weird plants that seemed really out of place. Even so, the place was beautiful).

We've definitely been keeping ourselves busy though, and this transfer is already coming to an end. We're still wondering where all the time went. W actually put in a request to the president for us to stay together for another transfer. I think that would be awesome, but we would understand if that didn't happen, ( W's already been in this area for 6 months, after which most missionaries would be begging the president to be transferred). But we'll see I guess. Either way, I think it's a happy contrast between this transfer and my experience last transfer with S, which transfer I will now name, " the transfer of unfortunate events."

By the way, my opinion of S has improved somewhat in retrospect. True, he is the only person thus far in the mission, or elsewhere in life, that I have ever sincerely felt like shouting " Go to Hell!" at. (Don't worry, I never did). But looking back on the past, which is a safer vantage point I think, I learned a lot about myself and life in general, and in the end, I don't think S's a bad guy (we'll see if my opinion improves with time, and frankly, distance). Furthermore, I think allot of the conflicts we had would not have surfaced had we been under more ideal circumstances ( i.e. if our house wasn't broken into, or if only my stuff was stolen, or something...) Ironically, I suppose life never really offers you "ideal" anything, especially on a mission it seems, but I'm more and more convinced that this is one grand of the purposes of life, just to let you " get to know yourself a little better" or something. I'm still figuring it out. Anyway, I'm happy to say that I don't "hate" S or anyone else for that matter, which to me is a comforting realization.

I was talking to S's current companion, Elder V, who is having kind of a difficult time as well. Apparently, this transfer has not gone as fast for him as it has for me. He informed me that S doesn't have the highest opinion of me either, but Elder V also said that he ( V) would love to be companions with me if he ever got the chance.

In other news, as of yesterday, I remain the 6 time undefeated champion of board/card games reluctantly participated in. Starting with Risk, Phase ten (twice), Monopoly, and Settler's of Catan (also twice). I am anticipating a loss sometime soon if I decide to play again ( the victories are not as enjoyable when everybody wants you to lose).

I've got to wrap this up. For your information, I have photos to send of the circumcision last week if you are interested. Also, I forgot to say; they did NOT use anesthesia in the circumcision (ouch) and the "doctor" used a pocket knife. Also the kid, Lario is absolutely terrified of us now. Sad. And, I have a Book that I would love for you to get ( and read) it's called " A history of Madagascar" by Mervyn Brown. Elder W has a copy of it, but it's a really good book which I think I would have enjoyed even before I got here. It's got lots of cool information about Madagascar's history and culture that I haven't found anywhere else, and it's made me more familiar with Malagasy history than most Malagasys I've met. Cool stuff. I've used examples from it in lessons to relate to people and to illustrate points. For instance, the story of the evil queen Ranavalona I, the crazy lady who was queen when the church was restored. She executed thousands of Christians while she was Queen of Madagascar and it's estimated that over 1 million people were killed while she ruled. It is a good illustration to people here why the church was restored when and where it was restored. Look it up.

OK then. I love you all. I pray for you all, and will be saying a special prayer for Grandpa Draper . Until next week Tiako Ianareo Veloma.
Elder Draper

No comments: