Hello,
Everyday this week was a test in overcoming inertia. I felt a tremendous lack of will power to go out and work, but somehow, we got out and worked anyway. Usually, I didn't get past the initial inertia of the day until I had been working for at least two hours - then the day started getting better. But during those two hours, everything was telling me to give up and go back to the house. When we left the house, we were greeted by the standard "Bonjour VAHAZA!" repeated obnoxiously and indefinitely (after the literally the 30th time in a row from the same guy walking along with you while shouting it in your ear, your patience wears out and you've gotta stop and say, "HEY! yes, we're white, thanks for noticing, you're very observant. Now, why don't you go play in traffic or something. Either way, LEAVE NOW! before something bad happens to you." - it's everything you can do not to grab him and throw him in the nearest poo ditch * usually about three feet away. I have been sorely tempted at times.) followed by bad weather, worse smells, and appointments falling through.
BUT, we made it through and ended up having a pretty good week. We couldn't work the first two days of it because of the elections, but somehow, we got more appointments this week than in the the previous week, where we had worked the entire week We have several people progressing towards baptism. In one appointment, we introduced the Book of Mormon. At the end of the lesson, we committed them to read it and pray about it. The lady had a funny response, she said disappointingly, "But I don't have a Book of Mormon" then she looked down and frowned. We pushed the book closer to her and said " now you do!" I've never seen anyone so happy to get a book before. It was as if she had turned into a little kid. She said " Thankyou! thankyou! I'm gonna read it tonight!" I think she did. So that was nice.
In other news, Elder W is on a plane going home as I write this. We said good-bye yesterday. He is the 2nd of my companions to "die" on the mission ( Elder Davies left 2 months ago), but he is the first missionary I have really felt leave. I feel weird right now come to think of it. W is gone. He'll get home to Layton UT on Tuesday morning ( by Madagascar time). He left me his nice digital camera to use until the end of my mission ( the camera is technically Elder B's, who lives in Holladay, so I'll just be renting it for now and I'll give it back to him when I get home).
I'm enjoying myself I think. I teach guitar to a kid named L K ( the K's are the American family in our ward here. The dad works for the Embassy.) He's progressing well and the K's invite us to dinner every Fast-Sunday because I'm teaching him. The K's are great. They remind me of Dan and Debbie Peterson, and the Tom Taylor family. Cool people. Jared (the dad) told me that we're related. Apparently he's got some Drapers not too far back in his family tree. So once again, the world is that much smaller, and I remain "connection machine."
OK then. I'm good. I think this week will be better. Maybe I'll get to cast out a devil (or convince yet another person that he is not possessed, but probably just bipolar) or do something else exciting. I'll let you know. Love ya. Veloma!
Elder Draper
No comments:
Post a Comment