Hi there,
Transfers have come and gone, and my "killer" is..... Elder Romney J. Fuga from Huntington Beach, CA. Elder Fuga is about 6' 3'' and weighs maybe 290 lbs, and both his parents come from Samoa. I couldn't think of a better person to end my mission with. He reminds me a lot of Elder E in that he's one of the more "chill" companions that I've worked with, and that's good. We are an odd pair walking down the street. All the people we teach are really confused at him: "He's a Malagasy right?" and look at me skeptically when I tell them he's an American. I guess he could pass for a Malagasy ( except that he's about 4 x bigger than just about any Malagasy I've met.) One lady was pretty funny--she said that I was just like a Malagasy with my voice, but that Elder Fuga looks like a Malagasy, so if we combined me and Fuga together into one person we would be exactly like a Malagasy. Fuga's just recently arrived, so all he needs to do is work on the accent, and people won't be able to tell the difference. I on the other hand, have done all I can do and sadly remain, "Stuck-up, Rich, French Guy" to all but a select few of the people here-- but I do appreciate the "select few" to whom I am "Efa 'Gasy fa tsy Vahaza intsony" (already a Malagasy, but no longer a Vahaza.)
Transfers have come and gone, and my "killer" is..... Elder Romney J. Fuga from Huntington Beach, CA. Elder Fuga is about 6' 3'' and weighs maybe 290 lbs, and both his parents come from Samoa. I couldn't think of a better person to end my mission with. He reminds me a lot of Elder E in that he's one of the more "chill" companions that I've worked with, and that's good. We are an odd pair walking down the street. All the people we teach are really confused at him: "He's a Malagasy right?" and look at me skeptically when I tell them he's an American. I guess he could pass for a Malagasy ( except that he's about 4 x bigger than just about any Malagasy I've met.) One lady was pretty funny--she said that I was just like a Malagasy with my voice, but that Elder Fuga looks like a Malagasy, so if we combined me and Fuga together into one person we would be exactly like a Malagasy. Fuga's just recently arrived, so all he needs to do is work on the accent, and people won't be able to tell the difference. I on the other hand, have done all I can do and sadly remain, "Stuck-up, Rich, French Guy" to all but a select few of the people here-- but I do appreciate the "select few" to whom I am "Efa 'Gasy fa tsy Vahaza intsony" (already a Malagasy, but no longer a Vahaza.)
I loved my transfer with PJ S. We had a good last week together and ended the transfer strong. Last Monday, he and I ran into a German guy who thought we were business men, and then was blown away when he learned we spoke Malagasy and that we were in fact, missionaries. He was about 65 and looked and sounded a bit like Elder Uchdorf, only not clean-shaven, and "morally unsound" for lack of a better description. Anyway, he invited PJ S and me to drink some coffee with him.
Obviously we said, "No," to the coffee but agreed to go and talk with him.
"That's OK," he says, "They serve Tea here as well."
We settled for some juice. It was delicious. So, the conversation began, and he became the first white guy that actually wanted to talk about religion with us during my mission. It was very interesting, and left me feeling a bit sad for the man. He was very intelligent and very polite and respectful to what we were doing. He grew up Protestant in Germany, and in the course of his life decided to abandon "religion" altogether. (I say "religion" because in talking to him, it became apparent that although he subscribed to no particular religious persuasion, he did have a sense of morality in him, and some sort of ideal that he supposedly adhered to.) Elder PJ S, shocked at this man's beliefs or lack of them, asked almost indignantly, "So, you don't believe in God?!"
To which the old man replied, "I don't even ask the question anymore, I don't know if there is or isn't a God, but I don't care anymore, because I don't need to know. All I want to do is to enjoy life. Enjoy everything. That what matters."
I remember how surprised he was that I wasn't disturbed by his answer, I just smiled and kept talking about what things I had discovered to be true in the short span of time I've lived. He was impressed. But it all subsided back to, "You're so young. You never know what happens in the future. You'll see." (as if Truth were relative to how old I am.)
We discussed many things, among them was the Apostasy from the Original Church which Christ established and the Book of Mormon. He was intrigued, and he asked for a Book of Mormon, ( " ... in German if possible..") gave us his contact information and we left. This has been "tickling my brain" for the past week, as they would say here. I feel genuinely sad for this man. I couldn't help but think of the scripture in D&C which talks about those souls blinded by "the subtle craftiness of men" as I talked with him. To what purpose were his beliefs? I felt that I may have arrived at a similar conclusion about life as he did had I been brought up any other way. I thought it a shame that an intelligent and pleasant person such as he should be so fed up with "religion" that he does not "ask the question" anymore. But in my discussions with these so-called "religious people," I can understand where he's coming from. I cannot tell you how many people have passionately tried to tell me that, "the 'true' sabbath is on Saturday, therefore you are going to hell for believing otherwise," or any other such ridiculous rubbish related thereto ( IE: no more scriptures beyond the bible, or prophets, or eating pork, and the list goes on...)
Lately, I've adopted the tactic of not bashing, but rather asking them to step back for a second and put themselves in my shoes.
I ask them: Where am I from?
Reply: America.
Q: How far is that?
A: Pretty darn far.
Q: Do I get paid to do this?
A: You don't get paid!??
ME: NO, in fact, I'm paying to do this--So, why, for even a fraction of a second, do you seem to suppose that anything you say to blatantly contradict me will have even the slightest effect? You've been at it for a half hour. Bytheway, I'm a Missionary--I read scriptures everyday, that's kinda what makes me a missionary. I might just possibly know more about it than you if only by virtue of my having more time and resolve to do so. Furthermore, I didn't even know what Malagasy was before I got here-- most people don't outside of this place--So consider for a moment, if you will, what I am doing and why I am doing it. I didn't come here to argue with anyone, nor yet to "convince" anyone that I am right and they are wrong. That would be an absolute waste of time. (and money--which seems to hit home a little harder with a lot of people I've taught.) I don't come to destroy your beliefs, I bring the truth, as I have come to know it and it's wonderful--and I'll bet that we have quite a lot in common. I only invite you to experience the rest of the truth. You already have some truth, from whatever source it may have come, so until you are willing to; and then do the same for what you believe, we have nothing to argue about.
Obviously we said, "No," to the coffee but agreed to go and talk with him.
"That's OK," he says, "They serve Tea here as well."
We settled for some juice. It was delicious. So, the conversation began, and he became the first white guy that actually wanted to talk about religion with us during my mission. It was very interesting, and left me feeling a bit sad for the man. He was very intelligent and very polite and respectful to what we were doing. He grew up Protestant in Germany, and in the course of his life decided to abandon "religion" altogether. (I say "religion" because in talking to him, it became apparent that although he subscribed to no particular religious persuasion, he did have a sense of morality in him, and some sort of ideal that he supposedly adhered to.) Elder PJ S, shocked at this man's beliefs or lack of them, asked almost indignantly, "So, you don't believe in God?!"
To which the old man replied, "I don't even ask the question anymore, I don't know if there is or isn't a God, but I don't care anymore, because I don't need to know. All I want to do is to enjoy life. Enjoy everything. That what matters."
I remember how surprised he was that I wasn't disturbed by his answer, I just smiled and kept talking about what things I had discovered to be true in the short span of time I've lived. He was impressed. But it all subsided back to, "You're so young. You never know what happens in the future. You'll see." (as if Truth were relative to how old I am.)
We discussed many things, among them was the Apostasy from the Original Church which Christ established and the Book of Mormon. He was intrigued, and he asked for a Book of Mormon, ( " ... in German if possible..") gave us his contact information and we left. This has been "tickling my brain" for the past week, as they would say here. I feel genuinely sad for this man. I couldn't help but think of the scripture in D&C which talks about those souls blinded by "the subtle craftiness of men" as I talked with him. To what purpose were his beliefs? I felt that I may have arrived at a similar conclusion about life as he did had I been brought up any other way. I thought it a shame that an intelligent and pleasant person such as he should be so fed up with "religion" that he does not "ask the question" anymore. But in my discussions with these so-called "religious people," I can understand where he's coming from. I cannot tell you how many people have passionately tried to tell me that, "the 'true' sabbath is on Saturday, therefore you are going to hell for believing otherwise," or any other such ridiculous rubbish related thereto ( IE: no more scriptures beyond the bible, or prophets, or eating pork, and the list goes on...)
Lately, I've adopted the tactic of not bashing, but rather asking them to step back for a second and put themselves in my shoes.
I ask them: Where am I from?
Reply: America.
Q: How far is that?
A: Pretty darn far.
Q: Do I get paid to do this?
A: You don't get paid!??
ME: NO, in fact, I'm paying to do this--So, why, for even a fraction of a second, do you seem to suppose that anything you say to blatantly contradict me will have even the slightest effect? You've been at it for a half hour. Bytheway, I'm a Missionary--I read scriptures everyday, that's kinda what makes me a missionary. I might just possibly know more about it than you if only by virtue of my having more time and resolve to do so. Furthermore, I didn't even know what Malagasy was before I got here-- most people don't outside of this place--So consider for a moment, if you will, what I am doing and why I am doing it. I didn't come here to argue with anyone, nor yet to "convince" anyone that I am right and they are wrong. That would be an absolute waste of time. (and money--which seems to hit home a little harder with a lot of people I've taught.) I don't come to destroy your beliefs, I bring the truth, as I have come to know it and it's wonderful--and I'll bet that we have quite a lot in common. I only invite you to experience the rest of the truth. You already have some truth, from whatever source it may have come, so until you are willing to; and then do the same for what you believe, we have nothing to argue about.
Most of the time this shuts people right up and they give me time to speak. If not, they didn't want to do anything but argue with the white guy anyway, so we don't go back; because we have no time--there are other sincere people out there to be taught. Call the above "method" of "bashing" a bit harsh if you like, but I too, like the German guy, am fed up with "religion" as most people see it. I'm more concerned with truth--and with it--true happiness. Nothing else matters.
Well, I have lots more to say on the subject, but I think you get the gist of it. If you can, you should read the section on the importance of studying Theology near the beginning of James E. Talmage's, Articles of Faith, and maybe he can articulate better what I've been trying to get at.
But I love you all and maybe next week, I'll try and send you some pictures. But I gotta go now.
Happy Birthday Mica on Saturday ( I had that written in my planner, but the computer was all messed up last week and I didn't get a chance to say so before Saturday, but "Happy Birthday!" all the same.) You too Dad on the 14th--Pi day.
OK, Love you, Veloma!
Happy Birthday Mica on Saturday ( I had that written in my planner, but the computer was all messed up last week and I didn't get a chance to say so before Saturday, but "Happy Birthday!" all the same.) You too Dad on the 14th--Pi day.
OK, Love you, Veloma!
Elder Draper
No comments:
Post a Comment