Sunday, November 04, 2007

2007 October 22--Listen to "John Pierre"

Where do I start?

Earlier in the week, we had an earlier-in-the-transfer experience come back to haunt us. It was from the "week of unwarranted confessions" or " dark secret week." A few weeks ago, we stopped by a member, and gave a short spiritual thought. After the thought, we sat and talked for a bit, during which time, the member told us something he was doing at his work that was more than questionably unethical, if not out right illegal ( although I'm not sure about the legality of anything in this country to be honest.) Anyway, he told us all of this and then requested a blessing of comfort from us that he might be able to continue on in his ways and be unaffected by any changes in his work. I really felt like he should talk to the bishop first and told him so. He responded, " I'd prefer not to tell a Malagasy about this." (red flag.) But I persisted and said I wouldn't give him a blessing until he talked to the bishop first. He didn't seem to think that he was doing anything wrong. We left the house and I'm pretty sure he liked me a little less after that. Time passed. Then, on Thursday of this week, we had to stop by this same member's house again. We walked into the gate and were greeted by the the member from the third story of his fairly large house. The conversation was pleasant for the first 3 minutes but a little strained ( He's been learning English, and insists on speaking it every time we're there - but it takes him a long time to say an incomplete sentence. " I..................... haive..................................geeft..........weef......a..... lawnguages." he says.( Just smile and nod, Elder)) and we had to strain our necks just to listen to him. He seemed happy enough, and kept laughing and smiling all the while, but then he stopped and told us to wait while he came down to get a blessing from us. I immediately asked him if he had already talked to the bishop about his problem - then he got mad, but nothing changed in the tone of his voice -it just got louder was all."You refused to give me a blessing last time!"(which was not technically true, but whatever.) Then he went off on us and told us what lousy missionaries we were ( mostly how lousy I was) and how all the other missionaries had always given him blessings, and how well he knew the church's doctrine and how I was a big sinner for not fulfilling his request on his terms and blah blah blah blah blah and "GET OUT!" "LEAVE!" I really didn't know what to say. But we complied and smiled and waved before we left, but I was bothered. Later that evening, we read the white handbook about "giving blessings of comfort to members" and confirmed that such blessings should be given under the direction of the bishop. We decided to visit him again in the coming week and explain why we felt he should see the bishop first, and hoped that he wouldn't be too bitter about our last encounter. But then came Sunday. And it was off to church for us. And who do you thing was sitting on the stand waiting to give a talk for Sacrament Meeting? Yup, you guessed it, none other than our questionably-ethical-"geefted" -"English-speaking" member friend. And he spoke last and went overtime.


His talk was on "obedience" and I was just waiting for the part were he points over to me and tells the whole ward how terrible I am ( and I was more than a little interested just how he would tie that to his talk.) Then it came - but with an odd twist. At the very end of his talk, he said "I have a confession to make" and proceeded to tell the ward what happened on Thursday. He talked about how "the missionaries" came over on Thursday, then he just gave up the generalities and pointed straight at me and said "OK, it was Elder Jean Pierre" - at which point, all eyes became fixed on me. It was bit awkward. I was thinking "oh no, this could go really bad"(and for some reason the bishop had left the stand before the talk and was nowhere to be seen.) But, he proceeded to tell how bad he felt after we left, and then asked himself "shouldn't I believe what the missionaries say?" and then decided to go see the bishop. Then, he publicly thanked and apologized to me. He added at the end " so when Elder Jean Pierre says something, listen to him" ( not bad, certainly better than "Don't listen to anything that guy says" but it's a little heavy to carry, if that makes sense.) I let out a sigh of relief after he said "amen." Then I had the whole ward making fun of me after sacrament, "Give me a blessing! or should I go to the bishop? Hahahahaha!" or " whatever you say, Jean Pierre. Hahahahah!" (this is the extent of most Malagasy humor.) But we survived. So that is that.

In other news, transfers are here again and S will be leaving to work in Mahamasina. I'm sad to see him go. We had a great transfer and got a lot of work done. But I'll still get to see him on P-days. Another of my best friends on the mission, Elder SA, is leaving to finish the last 2 months of his mission in La Reunion. This was very unexpected, and usually doesn't happen, I'm sad to see him go, but I'm excited for him too. He'll really get to speak French there, and he'll live in a tropical 1st world country. Cool.

As for me, I don't know who I'll be getting this next transfer. I do know that he'll be straight from the Empty Sea, and I'm gonna "train" him as it were. In the mission lingo, I'm gonna be a father. So people are excited for me. A lot of missionaries never get a chance to train, so this is an opportunity to be fascinated by everything in Madagascar all over again. This could be good, but it's up in the air. I have more to tell but I'm out of time so, I love you all. Have a nice day.

Veloma!


Elder Draper (Jean Pierre)

No comments: