Sunday, September 09, 2007

2007 July 23--Curve Ball

I'll use some terminology from a sport that I never appreciated until I became companions with W ( Apparently I am now a Red Sox fan. I'll have to see what that means when I get home.) Anyway, yes, I was thrown a "curve ball" this last Saturday that nailed me in the head, figuratively speaking. There is a thing called "mini transfers" that happens every so often, where only a few missionaries are affected and moved on very short notice. Usually the mini transfers are pretty predictable and affect the companions of those few missionaries who leave midway though the transfer and generally in this mission, their replacements are Malagasy. Or it often affects the people who have been in the same area for more than 4 months. SO, this mini transfer came as a surprise when throughout the transfer, district leaders on through the AP's repeatedly informed me and W that we wouldn't be affected by the mini transfer, and suddenly I get a phone call out of the blue on Saturday night just before I was about to sleep. It's the district leader, and we talk about nothing for about five minutes, and I begin to wonder why he is even calling, and then out it comes "..... ok then, so the real reason I'm calling is about mini transfers, and the only person in our district that's affected is you. So um uh.... yeah, you might want to start packing your bags, and stuff, cuz uh.. you leave Tuesday"
Pause.......(me) " um uh....... are you serious?" (him) " uh huh, yeah, basically" me again " hmmm. ok. So uh... where am I going?" Him again " oh. they don't know yet. but I gotta go so uh, good night" (click, or the cell phone equivalent at least) I didn't sleep too well that night

But I'm kind of confused and yes, frustrated. But I gotta go. but I'll tell ya more when I have more. which might be tomorrow.

Elder Draper

PS. sorry for not writing, I'll have to watch that. Yes, we were really busy all week. I'll tell ya about that later too ok.

No comments: