Tuesday, September 11, 2007

2007 September 11--"Really freakin' good at the guitar"

Hi.

I ordered a pizza (or the Malagasy/French attempt at pizza) by phone the other day, and when I walked in the place to pick it up, the "pizza"guy saw me and exclaimed, "That was you on the phone!?" I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be on a mission where once you have the language down, you blend in ( aside from the white shirt and tie.) But this "not-blending-in" can be fun from time to time. I can see myself missing it when it's gone. You can be African, Brazilian, Tongan, Mexican, Indian, Arabic, or basically of any other national descent with a darker shade, and they'll think you're Malagasy, even if your accent sucks. So basically, I'm one of a kind - cuz most white people don't even know what Malagasy is, let alone speak it ( accent or no accent.)

Yesterday for P-day, I carried my guitar around and became a street-musician (except that everyone was asking me for money) while W "fought-bought" for souvenirs ( W goes home at the end of the month.) It was funny: I could play jazz, rock, classical, folk, blues, or anything else, but I was not considered 'mahay'(skilled or good at) until I played three-chord Malagasy songs and sang them. Only then, and not until then, did I become "tena mahay be mihitsy amin' ny Gloma" ( really freakin' good at the guitar.)

So things are nice here. I'm having fun. I've decided to stop thinking about frustrating administration stuff - I've always hated bureaucracy anyway- and move on in spite of it. I think that will make this week more enjoyable and less stressful - we'll see, I guess. I don't have anything spectacular to report this week. I have stories yet untold to tell in the coming E-mails, but no time now to tell them. I'll try to include more stories in the future. I hope that will make these things more fun to read (and write.)

Other than that, It made my day to get all of your letters and find out that I am once again, Uncle Toby. Sweet. The baby is beautiful. You all look good. Emma is huge. To answer some questions, yes I can receive e-mail from friends, and yes I can look at family blogs.

OK, I've gotta go teach Hasana, the "pizza" lady, and find out where Tsiery's house is in this chaotic maze that is Antananarivo. So, I love ya, and I'll write you next week.

Veloma!

Elder Draper

No comments: