Tuesday, December 04, 2007

2007 November 5--Happy Halloween

Well hi, Happy Halloween! - which they don't really have here. On Nov 1 they have sort of a memorial day. Although, frankly, ny Famadian' ny Maty ( the turning of the dead) which happens in August through September, is more morbid in many ways ( and probably not half as fun). I'm sorry I missed Halloween. It would seem I have missed two of the best ones. I hope we can match them next year, I'll start thinking of some good ideas.

This week went alright. I'm still working on a way to connect with my new companion, I don't want simply to endure this transfer, I want to enjoy it. I'm a little sad because two weeks ago, I was in a house with 2 of my best friends, but in one fell swoop, gone. Now I walk in silence in between appointments because I have no idea what to talk about with my companion. I'm still working on it, he's a nice enough guy, I just don't know how to relate to him as of yet (and it's a bit of a struggle that I've become good friends and get along great with his MTC companion whom he hates.)

In other news, on Friday we caught 3 big chameleons and put them in a box in our house. Their names are Clive, Frank, and George ( I named them all before someone else named them something like "Spike" or "T-Rex" or some other such typical boring lizard name). The other guys liked the names and they've stuck. It's funny to say things like " .....so yeah, Clive got pretty ticked at George the other day and almost bit his nose off...." to people who have no idea who Clive and George are. They escaped their boxed bondage on Sunday while we were at church so now we have a fun 3-dimensional "Where's Waldo?" (or "where's Clive?" if you will) to come home to every time we walk in the house.

And to top off the week, we baptised 7 people yesterday, 5 of whom I had the opportunity to teach. Toby was baptised by our bishop, Vincent du Paul. And I was privileged to baptise 9-year-old Rakotodrabe Nomenjanahary Vahatriniaina. She was all of 3 feet tall with hair almost two thirds as long as she was. It was a peaceful experience. I'm not afraid that I'll mispronounce the prayer or the names anymore. They roll off the tongue quite nicely now.

After the baptism, we ate a delicious American meal at the Kartchners. My companion is doing well. he hasn't gotten sick yet, and it's fun to see him be fascinated by all of the crazy stuff that happens here all the time. He's not as excited to speak as I was. In his first few days, he might be described as a "deer in the headlights." I have seen many a "blank-stare" and the "I'm confused" face sent in my direction from both him and the investigators demanding from me some clarification or an out-right translation. He follows me so closely everywhere I go it's disconcerting at times. I never appreciated my need for personal space until now. I turn around and his head's right there "WHOA"- it's jumpy. But he says he's starting to like it here, and I've seen him relax a little bit in this first week.

Well, I've gotta go. I love you all. Have a nice day. Veloma!

Elder Draper

No comments: