Sunday, February 24, 2008

2008 Jan 28--Don't Drink the Water

I just got caught in the rain. I'm soaking wet and cold as I write this, so my hands are numb and shaking slightly. It's a bit tedious. Seriously, there is a puddle forming below my chair, and the cyber-cafe people are rolling their eyes at me.

I was sad to get the news about President Hinckley. I was hoping to see another conference with him. But I'm happy for him too, he had a good run, and he's with his wife now.

This week was a long one. Elder PJ S got sick on Tuesday and stayed sick all week. So I spent a lot of time reading and cleaning. PJ S and 7 other missionaries across the mission came down with the same thing. Our best guess as to why is that the water is too dirty to drink--even the filtered stuff at our houses--due to the rainy season. The office suggested (actually more commanded really,) that we drink only bottled water. This will cost more than a third of our already tight and always declining allotment, on drinking water alone. So, until they come up with a solution to that little dilemma ( which seems unlikely,) I'm boiling my water. (I'm opting for the spirit of the law on this one.) I haven't gotten sick yet. I'm probably adapted to all sorts of crazy microbes swimming around inside me presently just because I've lived here so long.

I'm sitting next to some discontented missionaries right now--all of whom are writing angry presidents letters about this--so it occupied my thoughts just there. Sorry.

I'm hoping this week will go better, and that Elder PJ S will get better, so we can work and focus our efforts on positive things.

Ok, I'm cold, and I gotta go change my clothes or something. But thanks for all the letters. I'll talk to ya next week.

Elder Draper

No comments: