Lovely to hear from you.
Transfers have happened again. And now, after having lived in the Analamahitsy Ward for 8 months, I have moved out. I'm a bit sad to leave to be honest - I really grew to love that place. I felt at home there. But I feel blessed that I was able to stay as long as I did. So, after a great transfer with Elder W, I am now privileged to be working with his 'Empty Sea' companion, Elder PJ S. ( do you remember him?) in what appears to be my dying area, Antanimora, which means roughly, "the easy place." I'm trying to find the connection; I was born in Talamaty which means, "Dead Tuesday." So I was born in Dead Tuesday, and will die in The Easy Place. I guess we'll see just how "easy" it is to die here.
Elder PJ S is from West Valley UT, and is the former companion of my Empty Sea companion, Elder Svr, of Birmingham, England. He is a very enthusiastic person, and thus far a pleasure to work with. In his first transfer with Svr of Birmingham, I helped him order a custom acoustic bass guitar from the same place I got my guitar. It turned out very nicely. I don't know how it worked out, but I couldn't think of a better companion to have right now. We've definitely taken advantage of the guitar and bass combo and have a good wind-down jam session when we get home from working. It feels good to jam with someone again, even if it's limited. We've even written a few "door-approach" songs--maybe we'll try 'em out if it stops raining;-). Speaking of rain, to say "it's pouring" down here in Madagascar is a gross understatement. On Friday, Elder PJ S and I made off like crazy people trudging up past our knees through rivers of muddy-red water that are the streets and paths of Madagascar while everyone else was waving and honking at us from their water-logged cars. It was fun.
I'm excited to work in this new area. It's beautiful here, and the people are wonderful. My companion and I have made a lot of goals for this transfer, so I'm excited to attack those and make some more improvements before I get home. Among the goals is learning some Malagasy Sign Language. We have a member in this ward who is deaf, his name is Jules. We translate for him during sacrament meeting. PJ S is already pretty good at it. Jules said that he was "astonished" ( at least that's what we think he said. I've only just started learning this Sunday.) at how fast we learned what we did ( but Jules is very polite). He gave me a really cool sign name too, but it's impossible to write it to you unfortunately (but all of the other missionaries were jealous cuz mine was the coolest ;-)
Anyway, I love you all. I'm sorry that I didn't really get a chance to talk to Mom and Dad, but I am happy that I got to hear your voices all the same. You all sound great. I'm excited to see you all again. Until then, Mazotoa! dia Veloma!
Saturday, February 23, 2008
2007 Dec 31--Born in 'Dead Tuesday' Die in 'The Easy Place'
Posted by
Nels Draper
at
11:57 PM
No comments:
Post a Comment