Monday, October 09, 2006

06 August 14--New Area

Ny fianakaviako,

Well, here we are again. I'm now in my new area, in a two-man house with Elder Davies. It was great to hear from you guys. I think it may have been a cold last week, and I've found a way to boost my immune system: Drink a ridiculous amount of water everyday. Unfortunately, I can smell now, and I'm still debating with myself whether that's a good thing :) I now live in a place called Ankandindramamy, as I mentioned before, which is basically in the city. (Talatamaty was more in the country.) This being the case, I thought it might be possible that we wouldn't hear the words, "Bonjour Vahaza!!" as much, because the people were more used to seeing white people. (Vahaza is a mean racial slur similar to the "N" word in English.) I was wrong. If anything, we hear it twice as much here. My new companion makes a point of stopping and correcting them: "Misionera izahay" (we're missionaries,) or something like that. I think it might bother him more than it does me. I'm getting to the point where it doesn't really bother me anymore. Most of the people here are wonderful, and frankly, the "Vahaza" (or some of the other things) is just because they don't really know any better. In fact, when most people figure out we're not French, but American, and speak Malagasy, they love us. (I've never seen so many people wearing American memorabilia in my life.)

I'm getting so many different perspectives on life, and I haven't quite figured out what to do with all of them. I'm still in a transitional stage in my mission, and maybe that will last the duration; but it's exciting to think of how each day is an opportunity to improve--to raise to a higher level of thinking. Admittedly, I have fallen short on several occasions, and lapsed, BUT that's what is so incredible about the Gospel. "Yes, I'm terrible at this," or "Yeah, I could probably do that better," but I don't have to let that defeat me. It's easy to focus on petty things, and to get caught up in the trivial that's day to day life. I used to be really bothered about "Vahaza" too, or... well there's lots of things like that which can trip you up if you let them.

I'm improving on the language. Malagasy is like nothing I have ever heard and yet it is the most recognizable language other than English to me. Most people don't speak speak French here, as I've come to find. I do have the opportunity to learn French because there are enough of the people here who do (most of them are from France,) and it is possible to be sent to Mauritius or La Reunion--both French speaking. But I would say that the majority of missionaries here don't take advantage of it.(In part because I think a lot of the missionaries learn to dislike the French from being here.) I don't hold that opinion, as Elder Prouteau is one of my favorite people here, and President Gaya, who is also French, is also incredible. Anyway, Malagasy is coming along nicely, and once it's here, I can focus more on French if I choose to (but I don't see any reason why not.) Malagasy is a very simply constructed language, but that's why it's so difficult sometimes--because I tend to complicate things. Also, it's still like speaking using nothing but tongue-twisters with really long words. "Ny fotompampianarana sy fanakempiavanana" is Doctrine and Covenants, and "ny lalanan' ny fidiovampitondrantena" is The Law of Chastity. And there's so many "fomba fitenys" (the way a Malagasy would say something) that are completely foreign.(Well, I guess they would be...) and Malagasy Proverbs that are constantly thrown into conversation. It's fun, it's like a really confusing game, and you have to play to figure out the rules. I think think this is a really cool sounding language though. and when I make a conscious effort, I can actually be understood.

I love this place. I'm happy to be here, I'm even excited to figure out how to click with my new companion. (The last two were too easy to get along with.) My new companion is great, I just don't know how to connect with him yet. He likes cars, Texas, country music, and making fun of people from Utah. Apparently, I can't be too offended about that though, because well... he likes cars, Texas, and country music ;) Well anyway, it's wonderful to hear from you. I love you all--Veloma!

Elder Draper

No comments: