Monday, October 09, 2006

06 August 21--"Vahaza"

OK. Thanks for the letters.

To begin, I did read them, but I don't have the address with me right now, so I'll make sure I get it from the mission home this week. As I mentioned before, the "water-shoes" (2 pairs, black, size 10) would be nice, and so would the Claritin. (But I'm actually doing pretty darn good as far as that's concerned--I think it's the drinking of lots of water.) Anything else you feel like sending would be nice too. (My companion got 4 packages last week, all of them food, and he was happy,) but if you're worried about sending a package because you think I need it, then don't because I'm doing great. I only mention the shoes because rainy season starts in November, and this is the Indian Ocean.(Apparently, it puts the Florida rain to shame--and there's not many paved walk-ways;))

All right. It's good to hear from you. Thanks for the letter, Liz. It's nice to know life goes on elsewhere. In fact, it seems like life picked up the pace for you guys after I left. Cool.

This is my second week in my new area, and it's been an adjustment. It's funny, the moment I resolved to be indifferent to the "Vahaza!!!!" comments that are hurled at us all throughout the day, the onslaught intensified. But I survived. However, I'm still working on a way to "perfect my indifference to trivial things" to a point where it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I also discovered a way to connect with my new companion. One way is that we are "Brothers in Adversity" in that, we deal with many of the same frustrations as missionaries, (he gets called "Vahaza" too,) and I've been able to share my "philosophical" viewpoints on the various matters, and he seems to appreciate them. Also, since he likes cars, football, etc... it naturally followed that he might also like construction working,(and he does,) which I had the opportunity to do for a time, so I was able to connect with him there. Nice.

I've had the opportunity to lead many of the discussions this week, and my companion tells me he likes the way I teach, so I think I can expect the same this week, but I'm excited to improve my teaching and language. This is a good thing, because before, I was secretly happy every time a lesson fell through, because it meant that I didn't have to go out on a limb, and make a fool of myself. Now, I'm bothered every time we don't have an appointment to go to. (It might be the missionary attitude coming through, I don't know, but I think it's a good thing.) I was used to relying so heavily on my companion's judgement before, that I never really had the opportunity to take charge of the situation and be bold. All too often, the conversation between me and my companion would be reminiscent of the vultures on Disney's Jungle Book: "So, what do you want to do...?" "I don't know, what do you want to do?" and we would arbitrarily choose something. Now it's good to have a little more confidence in my own judgement, and more ability to do something about it.

I'm starting to be able to use some of my "dormant-since-my-mission personality traits" now. I taught guitar lessons at the church on Friday, and also piano. I taught "Hey Jude" to a Malagasy (he requested the song,) and he really appreciated it, I think. I've also been able to branch out in my method of teaching because my manipulation of the language has improved. I think my companion enjoys it because: 1) He doesn't have to talk as much, and
2) He's never seen anyone teach like that and the people are much more involved.
(In part because I make them participate and answer questions, and in part, because they really have to pay attention if they want to understand what I'm saying.)

I've improved a lot since I've been here, and I don't think I'll ever be satisfied, so that's good. I've gotten very good at delivering "guilt trip" lessons to the members who have stopped coming to church, which, I think, is an improvement over the "If you don't come to church, you will go to hell" lessons that were given by previous missionaries, because they come. But I'll keep trying to improve the teaching.

I'll see if I can improve my writing next week by writing a more coherent letter. Anyway, I love you all, OK Veloma!

Elder Draper

No comments: