Monday, October 23, 2006

06 October 23--Laugh Out Loud

Ny fianakaviako,

It's great to hear from all of you. Thanks for the letter Thomas, and Wade ( and of course, Mom and Dad.) I also received letters from Rosie, Jennie , and Jeff within the last 2 weeks, in fact, according to Jeff's letter, he left for Japan the day I got the letter. It's really cool to hear from everyone. I've been avoiding getting too tied down to a schedule because, well, that's just always been a prominent aspect of my personality ( although not necessarily a good aspect.) Consequently, I have found little time to respond, and the letters I did send were sent back, (apparently I'm not supposed to send pictures in letters.) But, I think this transfer is going to help me in that respect.

My new companion, Elder Rock, is hilarious. I think in this last week, I had more "laugh out loud moments" than the entirety of my mission. As a companionship, we are very impulsive - we taught another large group of kids, "Red Rover", ( and yes, another kid got clothes-lined, so we're going to think twice before doing that again,) we helped one of our investigators wash clothes, (we got the well water and everything;) we helped push a car out of the mud while it was raining, and we talk to a lot more people, etc... It's been fun.

I'm also having to deal with some new challenges. My new companion is self-admittedly not a linguist and that while he has been in the country for a year, he says that I'm better at the language. So, I'm having to lead most of the appointments, I carry the phone, I set up the appointments, I make sure we keep to the schedule, and I keep track of the statistics ( how many appointments, referrals, new members, baptisms, etc....), and so I'm having to completely leave my comfort zone and fight against my chaotic personality constantly, it's definitely a work in progress. This may be the start of a good thing, even though I'm dreading the outcome (I never want to become up-tight and bureaucratic about things, because those kinds of people bother me most.) However, I have never been good at consistancy, and that personality-trait has not done me any favors.

This country is wonderful, these people are great. We're going to help with a family-home-evening tonight in a house so small that our knees touch when we sit. The family is making food, and we're going to bring mofo-kajajaka ( cockroach bread, really brownies) the conection is about to go so I've got to as well veloma!
Elder Draper

No comments: