Manahoana ny fianakaviako!
Here's a message from Ny fiangon' i Jesoa Kristy (or Jesosy) ho an' ny Olomasin' ny Andro Farany, or "The Church of Jesus Christ for the People Holy of the Day Last." (just to give you an example of one of the more logically constructed sentences in this Language to show you how weird and cool it is.)
Another week has passed, and I'm wondering where it went. Thank you for the E-mails. (I got an E-mail from Tyler Andrews this week as well.) It's so good to hear from you. I was looking at The Church News this week, and read the article about the Draper, UT Temple. I like the design. The article mentioned William, and Zemira Draper, and I was inspired to look through the genealogy papers and the pictures that I brought with me. It made me think how cool our family is.
Yesterday, my companion and I took some great pictures, but they were all on his camera. Fortunately, his is digital, and he's going to print some off for me. I do take pictures with my camera, but it's hard to tell if they'll turn out, and because of that, I don't always have the presence of mind to even take a picture. So, yes, a digital would be nice, and I guess I could figure out how to send you pictures via Internet, but you'd have to educate me:)
I'm still in good health and good spirits. So far on my mission, I've been able to see five baptisms--three of them I had the opportunity to teach before baptism. And in this coming week, another of our investigators will be baptised. It's wonderful to see how happy these people are because of the gospel--you can definitely feel the difference it makes in their lives.
My new missionary apartment is pretty funny - it is situated less than a foot away from a protestant church (really, you can't walk in between them.) We live on the top floor of this apartment, and our room is situated closest to the bells, which go off every Thursday and Saturday at 5AM and wake us up. I personally think that's a cheap shot, hindering the work of the Lord by depriving His servants of sleep:)
My companion is great--definitely a different experience from my first two companions--in that they matched my personality so well. It was too easy to get along with them. I believe I mentioned before, my companion is from Texas, he likes cars, football, country music, and guns (as in hunting,) and as such, not the the most obvious choice for someone that I would connect with. But I feel this has been a good companionship. The other week, my companion told me something kind of funny--as we were walking, he said, kind of hesitantly, "I'm debating whether or not I should tell you this, but uh.... oh what the heck: for some reason, I get along really well with you--like, better than the other companions I've had." He sounded surprised, as if that was the last thing he'd expected. But this was a relief for me.
During this transfer, I've improved in my Malagasy tremendously. I've broken out of another shell of timidness and am more able and willing to talk to everyone. My first two months here, I never street contacted or knocked doors, and I was happy about it. Now, while it is not my favorite aspect of missionary work, I contact people on the street, or anywhere else I feel so inclined, every day, and it's fun. I can even use the " Vazaha!" to my advantage by approaching those who shout it at us, kindly correcting them,(if they don't run away first because they realize that we know what "Vazaha" means;)) and telling them why we're here. Yesterday, my companion and I walked through a town we had never been to before. Now, it doesn't matter where we go, people will stare at us, but at this place EVERYBODY was staring at us. My companion said, "Look! they're all staring! Quick! Try to look inconspicuous!" At which point, I smiled, and waved at the people saying, "Howdy, partner," like Jackie Chan on Shanghai Noon. It was pretty funny. But it made me realize that, no matter what we do in this country, people are watching. They see us walking everywhere. They see us talking to everyone in Malagasy, and it definitely sparks curiosity. And so, even though we don't always realize it, we are doing missionary work, and it's great.
Well it's been nice to hear from you. Tune in next week for when I might tell you some stories about some wacky appointments I've had, or about some of the wonderful people here, or for something completely different. OK, I've got to go, but keep up the good letters, and wish me luck in the coming week. I pray for you always.
Veloma!
- Elder Draper
Monday, October 09, 2006
06 September 4--Bells
Posted by
Nels Draper
at
8:28 AM
No comments:
Post a Comment