Manahoana!
It's been a good week. As far as I can remember, nobody in our family has ever heard me sleep-talk, but now all of my companions say that I do. Last night, according to my latest companion, apparently I was sleep-talking--in Malagasy. (I just thought that was funny, so I thought I'd mention it.)
As far as everything else goes, things are wonderful. We had a general authority, Elder Parmley, come this week. President Gaya introduced me to him as "Frank Sinatra" and told him about the guitar lessons. He said I was only allowed to play guitar if I was surrounded by a hundred people:-) He spoke to the missionaries on Friday, and to all of the members of the church here in Madagascar on Sunday. The church had to rent the biggest GYM in the country (which is about the size of an average high school GYM,) and it was packed full with Mormon Malagasy. It was cool to think that everyone in that GYM was a convert, most of them having only joined within the last 6 years. It was a good, trilingual meeting--first with some of the Malagasy leadership--then our Mission President and his wife in French--the last being in English, with Elder and Sister Parmley. (All the while, it was translated into Malagasy, which was a good study in the language for me.)
It's odd to think that this place is normal to me now. It's no longer "odd," so to speak. The more I improve in Malagasy and spend time with these people, the more I come to enjoy their company as friends and I feel comfortable around them. I don't know if it's my personality changing, or the people here, or something else entirely, but it is not uncommon for me to impulsively start up a random conversation with somebody on the street. It's fun. Most people love that we speak their language. They shout, "Bonjour Vazaha!" at us as we walk by, thinking that we're French, and don't expect us to walk over to them and say something like, "Aza miteny hoe 'vazaha.' satria avy any Amerika izahay, ary tsy malala-fomba ny teny hoe 'vazaha.' Amin' ny manaraka, hiteny hoe 'Manahoana Misionera.' Tsara kokoa izany. Misoatra. Veloma!" It's funny to see their faces drop. But they soon recover and want to talk to us and figure out why we speak their language. A good proselyting tool, I think. Word of the guitar is also getting around. This past week, as we were walking, a kid came running at us bringing a guitar, and insisted that I play. And now as I pass that area, I am known as " Ny Mahay anakiray"--"the skilled-one"--or "Ny Mahay-Mpitendry" (skilled-player,) and whenever they see me, I can expect to play a guitar.
Well it's nice to write to you. I didn't get a chance to hear from you, but maybe I'll come back later today. But I've gotta go now at the insistence of my companion. So, take care! I love you all. I'm doing good. This place is incredible. All is well.
Veloma!
Elder Draper
Monday, October 09, 2006
06 September 18--Meeting
Posted by
Nels Draper
at
8:17 AM
No comments:
Post a Comment