Monday, October 09, 2006

06 August 8--Last Week in Dead Tuesday

Ny fianakaviako,

This is my last week in Talatamaty (Dead Tuesday.) I get a new companion on Thursday and I will no longer be "the new guy." The next area that I will go to is called Ankadindramamy.

I'm doing well. Before I go any further, I've had some ideas of some things that would be useful here, but I can't really get them here (not that I've seen.) If you ever could send a package, (but only if it's absolutely no trouble,) some useful things would be:
1) One or two pairs of black water socks (Size 10) (They're like shoes, but they're meant for walking in--no, not on--water for the rainy season, when the dirt roads are like rivers and it ruins your shoes.)
2)CLARITIN or some such kind of allergy medication.

Other stuff would be nice, but these two things, I think, would be most useful. But in the mean time, I will continue to look for the shoes, and do what I can to boost my immune system. I think this only came up now because my allergies have been doing fine, BUT TODAY, for some reason, it's terrible. (Maybe it's just a cold. It is winter here, and actually is cold.)

This week was great. On Tuesday, our Malagasy teacher didn't show up at the church, so as we walked back from the church, Elder Prouteau and his companion, Elder Sommers, decided to play soccer on a dirt field with some kids. We sat and watched for a bit, and then, on a whim, I decided to teach the kids near by (we draw a crowd no matter what we do,) "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" in Malagasy and English. So I taught them, and it was a success, and it drew an even larger crowd. So, then I thought it would be fun to teach them a game--Red Rover. (I couldn't think of anything else at the time.) So I taught the kids Red Rover. There were about 40 kids at this point, big and small. They picked up really quick, and it was hilarious. I've never seen anybody get "clothes lined" so bad in my entire life. It was fun. I liked how easy it was to throw away fear of embarrassment and do something different. Lots of people came and joined in.

I've gained the nick-name of "Frank Sinatra"--a name coined by the Mission President, President Gaya, because, yes, I do wear my hat, (I also have the Malagasy straw-hat equivalent of my hat,) and I play the guitar, (I bought a decent-sounding guitar for $25,) and I sing. The talents that I actually DO have, have helped me already. It's amazing how sometimes bringing the guitar to an appointment and playing hymns invites the spirit. I've also used it to advertise guitar lessons when all the other elders teach English. It's worked so far.

Well, it's great to hear from you, and I've got to go. The members are already throwing little "parties" for me because I'm leaving the area. These people are wonderful.

It is a goal of mine, to do what Jesse did, and actually write down a letter before I e-mail, so that I have more time, and the e-mail is coherent. Next week's Hopefully.

Love you all

Elder Draper

1 comment:

Nels Draper said...

The town Toby is in during this letter "Dead Tuesday" shows that Malagasy definitely has some Arabic influences. Talata in Arabic is "3" and some of the days of the week in Arabic are refered to by "Day One," etc. Tuesday is day three. Mat is dead.