Monday, October 16, 2006

06 October 16--Wonderful Week


Hello,

A wonderful week has come and gone. Unfortunately, it's still kind of cold here, and it's been that way since I've arrived. Apparently, it's supposed to be much hotter this time of year already, but then again, there's always next week. It's wonderful to here from you. Alice in Wonderland for Halloween: I'm really sad I have to miss this year. Oh Well, this place is it's own "wonderland" sometimes, you'll never get bored here if you pay attention:)

Anyway, the next set of new missionaries have come, and with them came transfers, so I have a new companion now. His name is Elder Rock, he is from Utah. He is wonderful and I am excited to work with him. He is probably the happiest missionary here, and it is definitely rubbing off on me. The word " Vazaha!" does not bother me half as much as it did working with Elder D, just because Elder Rock is so happy (and as great as Elder D is, he always made a point of going after the "Vazaha sayers" and getting very angry at them) So, I'm looking forward to the day when the word "Vazaha" and the people that come up to us thinking we're French and accuse us of being the cause of all their problems will no longer bother me at all. Elder Rock is so happy to the point that, if you didn't know him, you might think he was a little slow in the head, (for lack of a better description.) However, Elder Rock is actually very smart, and he said something very wise to me my first day working with him; He said," If you can't learn to control your own emotions, how are you supposed to even begin to help these people?" He went on to say that, while we're only 19 and 20 years old, these people begin to trust us and let us in to their lives, and that we're kind of like Psychiatrists because for some reason, we know what they need to do to overcome their problems and when they take "our" advice, it works. So, I'm trying to be more calm, and have more charity everyday.

Guitar lessons are good. I have about 6 people that have become regulars and they have come every week for the past month and a half and all I had to do was stop them on the street once and play their guitars once. I only wish it was that easy for getting people to come to church. I'm a little bit scatter-brained right now and I don't have too much time to write, but my goal for the letter next week is a coherent and informative letter. OK, well I've gotta go. It's lovely to hear from all of you, Thanks for the letters.

I love you and I pray for all of you always. Veloma!

Elder Draper.

No comments: