Hey guys
This week was eventful. I think I've already told you about an investigator family that unfortunately can't get baptized because they're polygamists. The husband's name is Voasaotra. They're still coming to church, and we visit them whenever we have time (which isn't that often.) Anyway, this week on Friday, as we were walking from another appointment, someone informed us that Voasaotra's son had died earlier that morning, and that we should go over there. As we approached the house, I noticed that all of the furniture was outside and lots of people were just sitting there talking like it was the most natural thing in the world. Voasoatra came out of the house and gestured for us to come in. Inside, all of the women were sitting on the floor weeping and wailing out loud, and in the corner on the floor, lay the deceased. He was dressed in white and had a white handkerchief tied around his head. He was only about 20 or 21 years old. The family said he had been out drinking with his friends all night, and they suspected murder. But from the sound of things, we suspect it was alcohol poisoning. It was really sad to see. We did what we could to console the family, we ended with a prayer, and left. I was reminded of what the branch president had said earlier about Voasaotra and his family. It was the branch president who had determined that they couldn't be baptized. He basically said, "That family has just convinced me about how truly important the Temple is, because they won't be able to be baptized until after this life." Now, thinking back on that statement, and the recent death of their son, it shows just how important the temple really is, and the gospel. Our next few appointments were with inactive members who are struggling with the Word of Wisdom. The experience only solidified what we had to say.
Lots of other things happened this week as well, but I don't have time to elaborate. I'm having a life changing experience. I'm realizing more and more how stupid I was sometimes before my mission, and happy that I was smart enough to come here. I still have to kick myself for stupidity and pride every so often, but I'll get there eventually, maybe;)
It's lovely to hear from you. It was like reading a little novel with multiple characters (that happen to be people I know very well.) It sounds like you guys are keeping busy. Wonderful. I pray for you always. I apologize for all of the "hair standing moments" that I may have caused you. (I've been trying really hard to leave all of those kinds of things out of my letters, I guess I'll try harder.) I'm doing well, I'm healthy, I'm happy, and I'm safe, so you don't need to worry. OK then, aza fady tompoko, fa efa tapatra ny fotoana ary tsy maintsy mandeha. (Time's up. Gotta go.)
Love ya, Veloma!
Elder Draper
Monday, October 09, 2006
06 October 9--Polygamy
Posted by
Nels Draper
at
7:41 AM
No comments:
Post a Comment